Sunday, June 29, 2008

At home

We are blessed with a great baby. Cade is very pleasant to be around. He really only fusses when he's messed his diaper or is hungry. Last night was his second night home, and it went many times better than the first night. That first night we were still getting the feeding schedule right and figuring out the best way to do things. He's also started eating a lot better, which translates into sleeping a lot better between feedings. Before he came, I'd be a little upset at myself if I didn't get to bed in time to get at least seven hours of sleep. Haha. Now we're ecstatic with a full two hours of sleep between feedings. But I think as our feeding schedule keeps getting better and he starts gaining weight the sleep will get better and better.

To be honest, though, I don't feel as tired and worn out as I thought I would. Now, I'm not saying I'm close to exhausted most of the time, but If I was spending this much time through the night doing anything besides looking after him I'd probably be getting cranky and feel like doody. I don't know if this is a weird thing, or if I'm still going hard on adrenaline, but I'm finding it a lot of fun to get up and help feed him and take care of him. I think it's fun to see his progress as he eats more and more every day. I'm really enjoying the process of studying him to learn his facial expressions and sounds and learning how to interpret them to best meet his needs. Another reason I think I feel so good is that I'm not sleeping on a gurney anymore like I was in the hospital. Mommy is doing great and Cade is doing great, and we're in the process of settling into our lives as a family. Here are some more pictures!



I love it when he looks at me like he's studying me too. It's almost like he's trying to associate a figure with the voice he's heard for the last eight months.




Andy and Shannon Raines came by to say hi and brought their daughter Mallory, who was born on April 21st. Future in-laws? :)



The first day home Cade spent some time on the counter while I was washing some dishes. We have a bird feeder right outside the window in the kitchen and he just sat there watching the birds. Everything is so new!




Jared Tanner and his wife Davi brought us dinner last night. They are a truly selfless couple that respond to needs in a selfless manner.




Ella Grace Tanner (Jared & Davi's niece) was so excited to see "Baby Cade." She wants to be able to call him in the future. :)


Christen Dowell is one of our favorite youth from Bridgepointe who is now out at the University of Louisville. She has a great babysitting job out there. If she didn't I think we'd be able to talk her into transferring to IU to babysit when Susie heads back up there this fall.

He really likes to be cuddled up on the shoulder.


Who wants a kiss?

Kendall, Ramsey, and Chaney Keaton. We love hanging out with their entire family. I think I see babysitters in this picture.


I have a pretty funny story to share the next time I post. It won't be long. I was laughing so hard I was crying. It had to do with learning about taking care of a baby. Stay tuned!



No comments: