Saturday, March 29, 2008

Colorado Baby Shower

A couple weekends ago Susie and I were able go to Colorado for the weekend. It was a lot of fun to get to spend time with family and friends. My buddy Matt Hall and his wife Moya are due within a week of Susie, so it was great to see them and compare pregnancy notes. We got a couple of pregnant tummy pictures, which are becoming more and more fun as the tummies get bigger and bigger.
But the real reason we went is because of the baby shower that was being held for Susie. I was completely blown away by the generosity and selflessness of the women that held this shower for Susie. I not sure but I think it’s been since I was in elementary school (or pretty much as long as I can remember); my mom has been meeting with a prayer group made up of other moms. Most of these women were moms of my friends and other kids that went to my school. These women are the most diligent prayers I know. One of these ladies (Kathy Hall, Matt’s mom, on the left), along with another lady (Jan Hogan) whose family has been a friend of ours as long as I can remember decided they wanted to throw Susie a baby shower.

When I heard that I thought it was a pretty cool idea. A lot of them have been like family to me for a long time, but I was still a little surprised, since a lot of these women don’t really know Susie personally that well. But a lot of these ladies do have a close connection with her because of their prayers for me (for a wife) and then their prayers for her since we’ve been married and through all of our adventures together.

I knew these women were generous and thoughtful and caring and happy for us as an expectant couple, but I was completely unprepared for what they had in store for Susie. Baby showers are about the coolest things for expectant dads, because we completely rake in the goods and we don’t even have to show up. I went snowboarding at Eldora with my dad that day and had a great father/son time (I can’t wait to share times like this with my son) (and I had some time to myself to take pictures of the scenery as my dad was off the run somewhere to the right watering a tree). But, like I said, I had no clue how much raking in Susie and I were going to be doing that day.

These women treated Susie like a daughter and went completely over the top in generosity with their gifts. We are truly blessed to have friends like that. When you look in the newspaper or just listen to conversations during everyday life, you tend to mostly hear stories about bad things happening and people doing bad things in the world around us. A deed like this isn’t going to make any newspaper front page, but it deserves to be recognized for what it is: a selfless act by a group of selfless women that will be remembered for a lifetime. These ladies spent days preparing a party for Susie with absolutely nothing in it for them. They gave of themselves without expecting anything in return. So a BIG THANK YOU to Kathy and Jan, and all the other women that made have made Susie a part of your family through your prayers, support and selflessness. People like you are too few and far between. You are the kind of person that I try to be.

PS - My sister Amy and her husband Paul got us the onesie with no right arm hole I had requested so our son can learn to be a lefty. Haha. Now we just have to work on that curveball.

No comments: