Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Six months!

I can't believe Cade is six months old today! It's hard to think that we've not been sleeping well for half of a year. We've functioned on a lot less sleep than we thought we could, especially Susie. For those of you that don't know, Susie is like a cat - she needs like 18 hours of sleep a day, so this has been more a labor of love for her than me. Plus, I get a couple nights each week to regroup when Susie and Cade are up in Bloomington. But.....I have to say (and Susie would agree) that Cade is COMPLETELY worth it. His second tooth just popped through the gum today, so that Christmas song about two front teeth has been running through my head. He's been eating his carrots very well, even the first day we introduced them to him (documented pictorally below). Since that first time he still makes the funniest face on the first bite when he's not sure about the taste, but after a couple bites he remembers and just chows down.

Tomorrow we fly to Colorado for Christmas. It may be an adventure because of the weather. It also may be an adventure if Cade is still feeling cranky about his tooth coming in. We'll see!

I sat and watched Cade sleep for a while this morning and a line from the Crowder song a couple of posts ago kept going through my head: "Praise our God, for He is good." I was praying for him and trying to think of all the things I needed to be praying for him about, things like health, growth, successful teething, good eating, praying for his future wife, praying for his spiritual growth, you know, good stuff like that. But I kept getting distracted by those simple words: "Praise our God, for He is good." There are so many times I spend too much time asking God for stuff. Most of the time it's good stuff, but I really do spend a lot of time asking. I thought about James 1:19 this morning: "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak...." I thought about how that could relate to my prayer life, and I tried to just listen and dwell on those words. I kept coming back to "Praise our God, for He is good," and I sang those words over and over in my mind so I wouldn't wake Cade up. God knows my heart, he knows my desires for Cade and for the development of our family. He wants me to communicate those to him, but he also wants me to listen. I haven't been very good at listening lately. Praise our God for six months.
This is not very good Mommy.
Don't really need to comment on this look of total disgust.
Carrots taste better if you let them soak in through the chin and cheeks.
Ok, you guys were right. This stuff is actually pretty good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas guys! We missed ya'll so much this year. I LOVED the video. That was already one of my favorite songs and now it'll mean so much more!

I'm so scared of next year!
Cade!
Jacob!
Mark Austin!
Gavin!

It's the dawn of a new era! Soon you, Chris, and me will be old dogs! HAHA.